So, Black Friday and Cyber Monday have come and gone. According to Adobe Analytics, American shoppers spent a whopping $9.4 billion dollars online. Now that you have your holiday shopping done, it’s time to get down to business. The business of moving, that is. Although relocating is part of life, a stress-free move during the holidays can be an impossibility.
Still, there are several strategies you can put in place to help you navigate your upcoming move like a pro. The trick is to avoid procrastination, so be sure to start soon. After you finish that holiday cookie, of course.
First-Things-First for a Stress-Free Move During the Holidays
1. Start by coming up with a timeline for moving. Do you want to be moved in completely by early spring? Then, plan accordingly.
2. Decide whether you’ll do a DIY move or invest in professional moving assistance. For the latter, you’ll have access to partial, full, or even self-service moving services. In self-service moving, you’ll hire a company to transport your belongings. However, that’s the extent of the help you’ll get: it’ll be up to you to pack, unpack, load, and unload everything by yourself.
3. Before you start packing, sort through your belongings and set aside those items you no longer need. Then, offer them up for sale on OfferUp, Craigslist, or LetGo. If time permits, hold an indoor yard sale. You can also donate your items to charity. After all, ’tis the season of giving.
4. Inventory everything you plan to take with you and determine replacement values for insurance purposes.
5. Finalize the purchase or rental details of your new residence. And, whatever you do, don’t leave a mess for your old landlord: you’ll want that deposit back, remember?
Don’t Forget the Personal Side of Moving
6. If you have children, you’ll need to notify their current schools and ask the new schools for enrollment information. Have copies of school records sent to the new schools, as well.
7. Ask your doctors to recommend physicians in your new community and obtain medical records for each member of your family. You’ll also want to ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage in your new location.
8. Pack clothing, jewelry, toiletries, financial documents, and medical records in luggage you can move yourself. Don’t forget to take the holiday decorations! Also, be sure to have them packed in clearly labeled boxes so you can extend the holiday cheer to your new home.
Do Sweat the Small Details
9. Schedule the disconnection of utility services at your old residence and the activation of services at your new home.
10. Complete change-of-address forms and send notices to everyone you do business with. And, yes, your local bakery counts (especially if you aren’t moving far away and still want those special offers you get periodically). If you’re a digital native, you’ve already applied for mail forwarding online.
11. On moving day, do a final walkthrough of your old living space to ensure nothing is left behind. And, don’t forget to turn off the lights and lock all windows and doors.
It may be the most wonderful time of year, but do you really want to handle the hassle of moving all by yourself? A full-service moving company can take care of all the packing, heavy lifting, and transportation logistics for you.
Experience a Stress-Free Move During the Holidays
Since 1981, the moving and packing specialists at Mesa Moving and Storage have provided their customers with personalized moving services. We also offer specialized help from personal assistants to make sure every item on your checklist is addressed to your satisfaction.
With ProMover certification by the American Moving and Storage Association(AMSA), you can rest assured that we’ll stay true to our core values of pride, respect, and trust. Give yourself the gift of moving assistance today so you can experience all the good things this season has to offer.