A divorce is a stressful event that affects every fiber of one’s being. Individuals in the midst of one often grapple with feelings of despair and grief. Despite this, at least one party in a “conscious uncoupling” (the term made famous by Gwyneth Paltrow), will need to find a new place to live. If you’re that person, planning a relocation after a divorce can be fraught with stress. The following strategies may facilitate a more efficient moving process so you can focus on thriving after the trauma of your experience.
The key to any successful move is to stay organized. Proper organization can save you a headache on moving day. Some things to put at the top of your list:
- Schedule a conversation about how items will be divided up in order to avoid misunderstandings.
- Call utility companies to make arrangements for your new place.
- Compile a list of important documents you’ll need to pack (insurance, healthcare, vehicle records, children’s medical & school records, etc.)
- Compile a list of special items that need to be packed with care.
- Apply for a change of address at the post office and inform all professional and personal connections of your move.
Keep Proper Records
A plan will keep you focused and facilitate a less stressful moving experience. Invest in an inexpensive Case-It binder with dividers and pockets to keep your plan inside. The binder can also contain any documents related to the move. This gives you a single, convenient place to find everything you need. It also eliminates the stress of looking for important documents when you need them.
If you prefer high-tech organization options, there are many apps you can use to help you stay on top of things. These apps include:
- Evernote – It allows you to create and store notes, organize files, and plan the logistics of moving.
- Google Keep – Google Keep allows you to take notes, make sketches, and create lists to help you accomplish everything you need to do before, during, and after your move.
Download Moving Apps
There are multiple smartphone apps you can use to help organize your move. Some useful apps for relocation after a divorce include:
- Craigslist, Letgo, Poshmark – Great websites for getting rid of unwanted items, which will reduce the number of boxes you have to manage on moving day.
- Zillow, Trulia, Realtor.com – These apps can be a convenient way to find a new place. They allow you to sort results by area, price, neighborhood, and availability. Using these apps will make it easier to find your next home.
Also, downloading a moving app in the weeks before your move can drastically reduce your stress levels.
Color Code Your Boxes
Prior to moving day, it may be helpful to color-code your boxes, based on which room items will go to in your new home. Color-coding makes it easier for your movers to know exactly where a box should go, as well.
Hire a Moving Company
Let’s face it: you already have a lot on your plate. Hiring a reputable moving company to help is one way to take some of the weight off your shoulders. Plus, the physically exhausting act of moving can compound your stress levels and further deplete precious emotional resources. A reputable moving company can handle some of the most difficult parts of your move, freeing you to deal with the most pressing matters at hand.
At Mesa Moving, we understand your need for an effective and efficient moving process in the event of a divorce. Our experience gives us the ability and knowledge to handle your move with the care it deserves. We also set ourselves apart from other moving companies because we offer the extra conveniences of a packing service and household goods storage. This gives you the option of keeping some items out of your new home until you can get organized.
For more information about our moving services, contact us today.