Whether you’re coming for the jobs, the scenery, or the recreation, Salt Lake City has become a popular destination for anyone looking for somewhere new. But if you’re planning a move to Salt Lake City, Utah, there are two important tasks you need to put at the top of your to-do list:

  1. Getting a Utah driver license.
  2. Registering your vehicle in Utah.

Throughout this article, we will share information you’ll need to know to accomplish those tasks with little delay to avoid any problems.

How to Get Your Utah Driver License

How to Check Your Salt Lake City Change of Address off Your To-Do List

Utah law requires each resident to have a valid Utah driver license while driving in Utah. There is no stated grace period for new residents to obtain a Utah license.

If any of the following are true, you are considered a Utah resident:

  • You establish a domicile in Utah,
  • You’ve remained in Utah longer than six months,
  • You engage in employment other than seasonal employment, or
  • You obtain Utah privileges not ordinarily afforded to nonresidents (obtaining a driver license, registering a vehicle, placing children in school, etc.).

Those engaged in temporary employment, those who are on military or religious assignments, or out-of-state students who are paying out-of-state tuition are not considered residents.

To get your Utah driver license, complete these steps:

  • Schedule an appointment or visit a Driver License Division Office.
  • Complete the driver license application.
  • Have a new photo taken.
  • Provide and surrender your valid out-of-state license.
  • Show proof of ID (including DOB), your social security number, and two documents that establish Utah address.
  • Pass a vision test.
  • Pass any applicable written and driving skills test — one or both may be required.
  • Pay a fee of $52.00 if you’re 21 or older, or pay $39.00 for a provisional license if you’re 20 or younger.

How to Register Your Vehicle in Salt Lake City, Utah

Cars driving down a highway toward Salt Lake City, Utah

Utah law does require you to register your vehicles in Utah within 60 days if any of the following are true:

  • You have established a permanent home in Utah.
  • You’ve lived in Utah for a total of six months, either continuously or non-continuously, regardless of having a permanent residence elsewhere.
  • You engage in a trade, profession, or occupation (other than seasonal work) in Utah, and you do not commute into the state.
  • You declare yourself a resident to obtain Utah privileges not ordinarily afforded to nonresidents. These privileges include obtaining a driver license, registering a vehicle, placing children in school, and more.
  • You’ve purchased resident hunting or fishing licenses.
  • You obtain a Utah driver license.

Again, those engaged in temporary employment, those who are on military or religious assignments, or out-of-state students who are paying out-of-state tuition are not required to register their vehicles in Utah.

You will need your current title and registration. Depending on your vehicle, it may need a vehicle inspection for safety and emissions. Additionally, a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection is a requirement. A DMV employee, peace officer, certified safety inspector, licensed dealer, or designated contractor can complete this inspection. Also, the fees, taxes, and other requirements vary, depending on your vehicle.

Moving is always a challenge, especially if you’re moving to a new state. So why not consider reaching out to our team of friendly professionals at Mesa Moving and Storage? We can help with all your moving and storage needs. We provide affordable and friendly moving services in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Utah. If you’d like a smoother transition to your new life, then contact us today to learn more about our premium services.

Leave a Reply