A residential move to a new home can be an exciting experience for children, if you embrace careful planning from start to finish. Successfully moving with children includes talking with them about your upcoming move plans. Generate excitement by talking about how important it is to get their things organized for the relocation, and discuss the new and interesting things they will explore in their new home and community.
Be positive! When your family is planning to relocate, your reaction to the upcoming move is most important. Children normally reflect their parents’ attitudes. Accentuate the positive. A positive parental attitude will go a long way toward soothing fears and creating an atmosphere of happy anticipation for the children.
Moving with Children
These helpful tips may help make the relocation experience easier for children.
- Prepare them in advance for the move. Tell them immediately about the move. Give them time to adjust to the idea.
- Answer all questions. Explain the reasons for the move as explicitly as necessary, depending on the child’s age. An honest question-and-answer session will give you an idea of the specific concerns your children have about the move. This will give you the chance to resolve their fears and let them know you are interested in their opinions and feelings.
- Permit children to participate. This will give them a sense of responsibility and self-worth. Let them get involved in sorting and packing. Let each child pack a box of their favorite toys, mark the box with their name and “Open First”.
- Choose a professional moving company. Mesa Moving and Storage, a reliable trust-worthy company that is experienced in moving families just like yours, will minimize your worries and responsibilities. Hiring a quality mover will allow you to devote more time to your children.
Moving can be a great personal growth opportunity for all family members, including children. Take advantage of the situation and make it a truly exciting experience for everyone.
Here is a suggested checklist of things to take in the car while traveling to your new home.
- Suitable clothing
- Diaper or utility bag
- Blankets and cuddle toy
- Disposable diapers
- Baby bottles with liners
- Baby food, formula, fruit juice, water and a cap opener
- Baby toiletries such as powder, lotion, oil and cotton balls
- Safety-approved infant car seat
- First-aid kit
- Collapsible stroller
- Child’s portable potty
- Safety-approved car seat
- Favorite blanket and small toy
For Elementary to preteen
- Travel games, coloring books and books
- Pillow and blanket
- Travel games, books, music
- Camera and mobile device
When you are ready to plan your residential move, contact Mesa Moving & Storage. We are Here to Help.